1926, a group of concerned citizens consisting mainly of
business and professional men saw the need for a fire
department in Prince Frederick, the seat of Calvert County. On
May 6, 1926, a charter was issued in the name of Prince
Frederick Volunteer Fire Company. Acting officers of the
company were John B. Gray, Jr., Rutherford B. Smoot, George D.
Turner, Albert B. Gibson, and Isaac N. King. In 1927, a Ford
Model A chemical fire engine was purchased and housed in a
shed next to the Calvert Motor Company, known today as Prince
Frederick Ford. The Company disbanded in 1931 for reasons
unknown leaving the town again without any fire protection.
In 1940, a group of townspeople, including some of the
previously involved, began meeting in an effort to reorganize
a fire department in Prince Frederick. After many meetings
with citizens from all areas of the county and a serious fire
in Prince Frederick, progress began to take place. As the
department would be providing fire protection to all areas of
the county, it was decided that the name of the organization
would be the Calvert County Volunteer Fire Department. In 1941
a charter was issued to the CCVFD. On September 9, 1941, Mr.
Will Duke was appointed temporary chairman and the following
Administrative Officers were elected: President - Harry
Hughes, Vice Presidents - Warren Denton, J. Wilmer Gott, Allen
Bowen, and Reginald Bowen, Secretary - Louis L. Goldstein, and
Treasurer - Reginald Bowen. The Suppression Officers were:
Chief - Shemwell Parran, Assistant Chief's - Robert Harkness,
Austin Bowen and Berbard Lankford, Captain - Millard Fowler,
Lieutenant - Maurice T. Lusby, Jr., Sergeant - Ray Shipley,
Engineer - Halston Young and Fire Marshall- Robert King.
A 1928 Studebaker was borrowed from the North Beach Volunteer
Fire Department and was housed in the shed next to Calvert
Motor Company. Soon after this, a committee was formed to
purchase the department's first fire engine. The committee
ordered a 1941 American LaFrance with a 500 gpm pump and a 300
gallon tank that would be known as Engine 21. As the new fire
engine was being built, construction on a new firehouse was
started. In 1942, the CCVFD constructed a 1000 gallon Tanker
with a 500 gpm pump on a 1935 International chassis. In 1943,
the department moved into the new two bay firehouse next to
the courthouse on Main Street. In 1947, an International fire
engine was purchased from American Fire Apparatus with a 500
gpm front mounted pump and a 750 gallon tank known as Engine
In 1955, another International fire engine was purchased. It
featured a 500 gpm front mounted pump and a 1000 gallon tank.
Due to other fire departments emerging and mutual aid with
other counties, the county decided to change the numbers on
the engines from two digits to three digits, making the new
55' Engine 201. 1956 started a 29 year era when Vernon D.
Horsmon, Sr. became Fire Chief. By 1959, the two bay firehouse was
full with three engines and a tanker, and talk was started of
building a new firehouse.
In 1960, a new one story, four bay firehouse was constructed.
It also featured an extension on the front providing a kitchen
and meeting room. In 1964, an International Scout was
purchased due to many large brush fires in the county. In
1967, Engine 21 was replaced with an American Fire Apparatus
International that featured a 750 gpm front mounted pump and a
1000 gallon tank which was known as Engine 202. In 1968, a
Rambler Chief's Car was purchased from the Prince Frederick
In 1970, an International 1-ton brush truck was constructed by
the CCVFD. In 1973, Engine 203 was replaced with the
department's first closed cab fire engine, an International
1976, a new Jeep was purchased to get into tighter
areas where Brush 2 couldn't.
In 1978, the Tanker was replaced with an International
750 gpm front mounted pump and a 1500 gallon tank. The Tanker
was purchased from Oren Fire Apparatus in Virginia. With the
county growing at a fast rate, the department decided to
purchase the county's first ladder truck. In 1979, a 100'
Maxim rear mount ladder truck was purchased.
On January 12, 1980, while responding to a fire in the Broomes
Island area, Truck 2 got out of control and flipped over
several times. The accident injured firefighter Mike Moore and
killed Assistant Chief Donald Bowen. This marked the first
Line of Duty Death (LODD) for the department. The ladder truck
was replaced with a 1980 100' Maxim rear mount.
| In 1983, an
E-One/International 4x4 was purchased. It was known as Rescue
2 and featured a 750 gpm pump and a 500 gallon tank.
an addition was made to the firehouse, building two more
stories above the kitchen and meeting room. The addition made
a training room, a lounge, a bunkroom, and the Chief's office
on the second floor, and a gym and storage on the third floor.
Also in 1984, Engine 202 was totaled while responding to a
fire in the Plum Point area injuring three firefighters. A
1984 Henrickson Custom/Pierce with a 1000 gpm pump and 750
gallon tank replaced Engine 202. 1985 ended a 29 year era for Chief Horsmon as he was forced to
resign due to conflict of interest with his county job. Before
Chief Horsmon's resignation, he renamed the department, Prince
Frederick Volunteer Fire Department which allowed us a more
positive identity to the area that we have a prime
1986, a new Car 2 was purchased and was a Chevrolet
|| In 1988, the Tanker was replaced with a
Mack/4Guys Tanker that featured a 1000gpm front mounted pump
and a 3000 gallon tank.
in 1988, a new Brush 2 was also purchased. Brush 2 was
a 1988 Chevrolet 2500 with a utility body and skid
unit on the rear.
December 9, 1988 marked the second
LODD for the department when President/Captain David Gott was
returning home from running a call at the firehouse. A car
pulled out in front of Capt. Gott at Hallowing Point Road and
Barstow Road. In 1989, the county went back to two digit
numbers and Engine 201 was replaced with Engine 21, a Pierce
Lance that features a 1250 gpm pump and a 750 gallon tank.
In 1991, another Pierce Lance Engine was purchased to replace
Engine 203. The new Engine 22 features a 1250 gpm pump and a
1000 gallon tank. E-22 is also equipped with a Hurst Maverick
Tool and a 30 gallon foam tank.
||The 1980 Maxim Ladder
Truck was rehabbed in 1993 by Pierce. The truck received a new
Pierce Arrow closed cab and new compartments. While the Truck
was being rehabbed, the department made another addition to
the firehouse. Three more bays were added to the east end of
the firehouse to house the newly rehabbed truck and the
in 1993, a new Rescue
was purchased from E-One. The new E-One Cyclone replaced
the 1983 International and was renamed Squad 2.
in 1993, a Chevrolet Suburban was purchased and placed
in service as Car 2.
In 2000, a used 1994 Jeep Wrangler was purchased and
built into Jeep 2 by the members of PFVFD.
|| In 2002, a new Ford
F350 Brush truck was purchased featuring a 250 gpm pump and
250 gallon tank.
| In 2003, a GMC Yukon was purchased
and placed in service as Command 2.
|| A new Pierce
Dash 95' Mid-mount Tower Ladder was also
purchased this year to replace Truck 2 and delivered in
August. Truck 2 was sold to the King George Volunteer
Fire Department in Virginia.
| In 2004,
meetings started being held to discuss whether to rehab the
old firehouse or construct a new one. In 2007, a new GMC Yukon
was purchased to replace Car 2. Car 2 was sold to a private
owner in the Calvert County area. In September
2007, a new Seagrave Marauder II was ordered to
replace Engine 21.
May 2008, the firehouse rehab / replacement moved into
the second stage and Engine 21 was sold to the Mount
Jackson Volunteer Fire Department in Virginia with the
upcoming arrival of the 2008 Seagrave Marauder II. The
new Engine 21 was placed in service on October 4,
October 2009, Squad 2 was sent out to Patriot Fire, in
Trappe, Maryland for a minor rehab. The Squad had all
new LED Lighting installed, the compartment door
hinges repaired, and a complete paint job. Squad 2
returned in December.
December 2009 when Squad 2 returned from Patriot Fire,
a new Utility 2, a 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 was purchased,
and sent to Patriot Fire to have the emergency
equipment installed, paint, and graphics done.
by: Jason Deale - January 2006, updated December 2009
provided by PFVFD, Vernon D. Horsmon, Walter M. Gott, and